Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Flickers of Light

Although I've never been stuck in a cave, I've seen enough "Man vs. Wild" type shows to know the joy that sweeps over a hiker stuck in a cave when he sees little slivers of light cut through the blackness.  The light is hope.  It is the hint that the end that is near.  And it quickly blots out the previous and current struggles that brought you to the present place in time. 

Today was one such experience for me.  The CT scan that I had last week yielded that I would need more chemotherapy, but we didn't know how much.  Upon meeting with the doctor today, things became much clearer as he gave us an end to look forward to.  The remainder of my treatment schedule should look like this...

-  2 more months of chemo (3 treatments after today)
-  3 week break to recover
-  3 weeks of radiation
-  Anticipation of being wrapped up by the end of November

Today was a tough treatment day.  I sought to christen this fall season with a Spiced Pumpkin Latte from Starbucks, but that didn't stay down too long and I was dead tired.  This experience has been the toughest thing I have ever done, but typing out that remainder of the treatment schedule puts a fresh burst of wind in my sails, even though there is another 3 months left to go.  I can see the finish line in the distance and you can bet that I'll be in a full out sprint physically, emotionally, and spiritually until I finish.

There is short time on the clock and I don't plan on wasting it.

Making the most of what's left,

MH 

4 comments:

  1. My Brother, may your chin be held up with the strength that the Lord has given you. May your eyes be lifted up to God with the humbleness you have. May your knees be bent with the thankfulness you proclaim, and may your heart be warm with the prayers that are being said for you.
    I love you friend and persevere through it all. I am thankful for the "platform" that He has given you and for the man that He has made you to be to give Him the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. praying for you my man...you are a stud

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beauty of your situation is this: even though the clock is running down, you do not need to go for the big lateral or head lock. The match has already been won for you. (I love wrestling metaphors)

    ReplyDelete