Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Time Not Wasted

Just a quick thought for today...

The past few days have been jam packed with reflection over the past six months.  It really started to hit me when I went in for my radiation simulation on Monday.  As I closed my eyes and passed in and out of the big doughnut shaped CT scanner, the realization swept over me that the finish line was less than one month away.  It was surreal to comprehend how I felt at the start of it all, how I had no idea what to expect.  It was like taking a big breath before the plunge.  The process was a draining one that I just desperately wanted to get though and be done with.  But now, in retrospect, it feels like a mere blink.

Such is the reality of life and of suffering.  One phone call can instantly re-route our plans and outlook on the future.  But even though that may be the case, we cannot waste such times.  I have mistakenly told inquiring people that my life has been "put on hold" by this cancer.  It was all too easy to think that just because my plans didn't pan out that this was just a storm that I had to hunker down and wait out before I could move forward.  Then it hit me:  this period of my life was not an accident.  It didn't occur outside of God's plan, so that means that it was granted to me as yet another opportunity to be refined, to grow, and to testify to His faithfulness.  I don't need to wait until I finish treatment; I can testify right in the eye of the hurricane because I still have life, breath, and the peace that transcends all understanding.  It's easy to do it on a blog like this, but I've also come into contact with hundreds of new faces.  They are hundreds of new conversations to be had and as many opportunities to share good news.  I can only hope that I made the most of this storm and desire to do the same with the grey clouds that will surely be coming my way in the future.  Whatever happens, it is imperative that He gets the glory and that His gospel becomes more real to the world around us.    

Are you wasting your storm?

MH

2 comments:

  1. Did we ever talk about this? Because when I would share your story I would say the same thing.... about your life not really being "put on hold" and all... You continue to inspire me...I love you~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Michael you have truly been an encourager in the mist of your storm. When veiwing some of your comments and stopping by your blog,it never appears to me that your life has ever been on hold. I'm always left with the convicting questions of, what am I doing to give God glory, what's my excuse for not praising him at all times? Know that your words of pure transparency has been very effective in many lives, some to whom you may never meet face to face. Jesus Christ is truly being glorified in your life. Thank you for sharing your journey. Keep praising Him brother, keep prasing HIM.

    Love you man, Mr. Windom

    ReplyDelete