Sunday, January 8, 2012

Great Gift, Even Better Reminder

Occasionally, the nature of a long distance relationship dictates that holiday celebrations take place over several days.  Such was the case for this year's not-so-white Christmas.  Just a few days before the New Year, I sat in the St. Clair living room as we shared stories of our holiday celebrations and even a few brief recipes for our favorite eats.  We finally concluded with the exchanging of a few gifts.  Lindsay placed the final present in my hands and after I had stripped it of its wrapping paper, I saw this frame:




She had artistically taken these pictures around Philly to fashion the word that has been my sustaining grace for the last 9 months: HOPE.  After I gawked at her creativity for some time, it hit me that this was the greatest gift I have ever received.  Don't get me wrong.  The frame is fantastic, but what it represents is even greater.  Several thousand years ago, God Almighty gave us hope packaged in the infant boy, Jesus.  Nothing more meek and vulnerable, yet the salvation of the world he had just entered rested on his shoulders.  And he did not disappoint.

Neither does the hope that came with him.  This is real, authentic hope, validated through the Gospel of Christ.  It was made possible through his death and resurrection.  And now December 25th is forever a reminder of the greatest gift we ever have and ever will receive.  Not earned, not deserved, but freely given, nonetheless.  

Thanks for this awesome reminder, Linds.

MH

No comments:

Post a Comment