Sunday, July 17, 2011

Treatment's Top 5

Psalm 145 says that one generation will pour forth the fame of the Lord's abundant goodness and His wondrous works.  As my chemotherapy progresses, I've had a lot of conversations about how crappy I feel or how tired I am or whatever.  I understand that this is just the nature of the treatment, but I would be remiss if I failed to remind myself and others of the Lord's abundant goodness and wondrous works.  By now, I have completed 5 treatments in 2 months, so I wanted to step back and compile the Top 5 ways in which the Lord has manifested His goodness to me in this storm.  In no particular order...

1.  Visitors:  In the last two weeks, I've been so blessed to have some very special people come visit me here in Hudson.  My favorite RD couple, Dave and Emily Downey, were able to swing by on their way home from Chicago and one of my best friend from high school, Henry Hasson, also stopped in from Michigan (guaranteed laughs with this guy).  Last but not least, I was spoiled to have Lindsay in town for a week and a half!  It was an amazing privilege to have her here for a treatment week and she made it that much easier.

2.  Team Hoj:  When this all started and my family and Coach Brunk came up with the Team Hoj idea, I was absolutely flattered, but wasn't sure what to expect.  I've been absolutely blown away as support, both financially and prayerfully, has flooded the Hojnacki household.  If as that wasn't enough, the Team Hoj bracelets and shirts came in and they came out better than I could have hoped for!  Thanks again Uncle Jeff, Aunt Karen, Marky, Coach Brunk, and Coach Vogel for putting those together!

3.  CCC Cafe:  This Sunday marked the first time since I began treatment that I have been able to sing and what a blessing it was.  With the tumor being situated in my chest as it was, my pipes were out of commission for sometime.  But with the reduction in the size of the tumor, I was finally able to sing again.  Despite not feeling well this morning, being able to participate again and do what I feel I was made to do brought such joy to my heart.  The cherry on top was being asked to sing Kristian Stanfill's "Always."  If you haven't heard it, look it up.  The lyrics speak for themselves and, in my current situation, I had a difficult time keeping myself from tearing up.  What a great reminder that our God always comes through!

4.  Home:  Although I knew that coming home for treatment would be for the best, I was still having a hard time coping with the delay of my work with FCA and not being where I wanted to for this summer.  However, my Heavenly Father has reaffirmed that this is where I should be.  I have been able to spend wonderful amounts of time with my family and friends in the area.  And what would summer be without campfires and grilling?  I have spent a "devoted" amount of time in front of the TV perusing the Food Network for killer new recipes and have resolved to cook one third of my meals on the grill.  But by far, the best part of being home is just being home.  Knowing that I am in the best place I can possibly be to fight this and that I have all the support anyone could ask for... it's good stuff.

5.  Up and About:  On the select days when I have been up to it, I have been very fortunate to get some workouts in.  It may sound peculiar, but you have to understand that for this wrestler, only being able to do a one or two workouts every other week is a far cry from two to three times a day.  Nonetheless, such workouts are little "pick-me-ups" to my spirit.  Next to music, wrestling is the thing that I feel I was created to do.  Unfortunately, I am unable to wrestle right now, but exercising is the next best thing and every time I am able to go for a run or hit the resistance bands is nothing short of a gift.  I absolutely cannot wait to strap my shoes up again and feel that Resilite underneath my feet!  Give me patience, Lord!


Remember, this isn't about cancer.  This is about God's faithfulness and goodness. 

Encouraged,

MH

No comments:

Post a Comment